The U.S. reported a single-day document of COVID circumstances with multiple million new infections because the Omicron variant spreads throughout the nation.
The full could also be partly as a result of delayed reporting from over the vacation weekend, reported CNBC (Jan. 4). Even so, as of Jan. 3, the seven-day common of each day new U.S. circumstances is 480,273, the very best such metric of recent circumstances in any nation tracked by Johns Hopkins College.
With that, meals companies are taking new measures to gradual the unfold. Starbucks, for instance, is now requiring its U.S. workers to be vaccinated by February 9 or undergo common testing, reported The Wall Street Journal (Jan 3).
Those that go for common testing should have a pharmacist or physician administer it and must cowl any prices for the assessments, the corporate stated in a message to its U.S. shops. Staff should disclose their vaccination standing by January 10.
The transfer makes Starbucks one of many first massive restaurant chains to take this sort of step and leaves one to marvel if it’s setting a precedent for different food-related firms.
Some large U.S. cities, equivalent to New York, have been requiring proof of vaccination for indoor eating for months. Now, in gentle of Omicron, extra are following swimsuit, reported CNN (Dec. 22). Right here’s a number of of the most recent:
- Boston Mayor Michelle Wu introduced on December 20 that town would require proof of vaccination for indoor eating, amongst different indoor actions, for each patrons and workers.
- Chicago started requiring proof of vaccination for many companies that serve meals and drinks on January 3. Unvaccinated workers of these venues must go the testing route.
- Philadelphia additionally started an identical mandate on January 3. For the primary two weeks of the mandate, companies might settle for proof of a damaging take a look at taken inside the previous 24 hours as an alternative of proof of vaccination. Beginning January 18, solely the absolutely vaccinated might enter.
PREVIOUS EUROPEAN HOTSPOTS TAKE PRECAUTIONS
Nations laborious hit throughout earlier waves of the pandemic, equivalent to Italy and France, are taking additional precautions in terms of Omicron.
- France is instituting a three-week ban on consuming and consuming on public transportation, theaters and sporting venues because it seeks to curb the unfold of COVID-19, reported Fortune (Dec. 31). The nation additionally positioned a ban on all nonessential guests to and from the U.Ok. a number of weeks in the past.
- After seeing its highest one-day whole of infections ever, Italy once more tightened restrictions, putting emphasis on the unvaccinated, reported ABC News (Dec. 23).