The areas embrace two-thirds of authorities in London, greater than half in south-east England and almost a half in japanese England.
Many of the remainder of the nation has but to succeed in document ranges, nonetheless, with solely a handful of areas within the north and west seeing charges at an all-time excessive.
The figures, which have been compiled by the PA information company, present that:
• 21 of the 32 native authorities in London now have document Covid-19 case charges, with the capital accounting for the highest 10 highest charges within the UK and 20 of the highest 25.
• 4 London areas have charges above 2,000 circumstances per 100,000 folks: Lambeth (2,461.4), Wandsworth (2361.9), Hackney and Metropolis of London (2,096.8) and Southwark (2,064.0)
• In south-east England, 37 of the 64 native authorities are actually seeing document charges, led by Elmbridge (1,384.7), Reigate and Banstead (1,317.3) and Epsom and Ewell (1,271.6), all of that are in Surrey.
• 21 of the 45 native authorities in japanese England have document case charges, together with St Albans (1,311.3) and Cambridge (1,177.0).
These are usually not the very best charges within the area, nonetheless – Brentwood (1,460.3) and Thurrock (1,342.2) in Essex are larger, although that is barely beneath the document for each areas, which was set through the second wave of the virus final winter.
• 12 of the 40 areas within the East Midlands are at a document excessive, led by South Northamptonshire (970.8), Broxtowe in Nottinghamshire (917.8) and Charnwood in Leicestershire (916.6)
All figures are for the seven days to 16 December, as information for newer days remains to be incomplete.
In complete, 102 of the 377 native authority areas within the UK (27%) are actually recording their highest Covid-19 case charges since mass testing was rolled out throughout the nation in Might and June 2020.
Figures for case charges within the early months of the pandemic are usually not instantly comparable, as solely a small variety of folks had been being examined, largely in hospitals and care properties.
Of the 102 areas, solely 11 are outdoors the south and east: six in north-west England (Bury, Cheshire West and Chester, Manchester, Salford, Stockport and Trafford); three in Scotland (East Lothian, Edinburgh and West Lothian); one in Northern Eire (Ards and North Down); and one within the West Midlands (Newcastle-under-Lyme).
The distinction between the south and east and the north and west displays the way in which the Omicron variant of Covid-19 has unfold in latest weeks – specifically, how London was the primary space of the UK the place Omicron grew to become the dominant variant of the virus.
Though 9 in 10 native authorities within the UK are recording a week-on-week rise in charges, most areas within the north and west of the nation have but to hit ranges seen through the second wave of the virus.
However this might change within the days and weeks forward, as soon as Omicron has develop into the dominant variant in all elements of the nation.